Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort hosts the free Music on the Rocks festival on Saturday August 4, 2012, from 1 – 9 pm, featuring popular New Mexico and Colorado bands. Admission is free to the family-friendly concerts in the mountains, and although times and acts may change, the concert schedule at time of writing is:
- Jenne McIntosh 1 pm – singer, guitarist and pianist performing original and cover songs
- Cali Shaw Band 2:15 pm – Albuquerque-based Cali Shaw co-founded the southwest funk contingent Felonious Groove Foundation
- Monkey Feeders 3:30 pm – voted Best Band in Taos in 2012
- Main Street Garage Band 5:15 pm – a Boulder pop band
- Last to Know 7 pm – The Taos band is the final headline act of the day, performing until 9 pm
Sipapu is 20 miles southeast of Taos, about 90 minutes north of Santa Fe, and a 2.5 hour drive from Albuquerque. Get directions to Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort.
If you’re interested in learning the basics of fly fishing, Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort holds a series of free fly fishing clinics this summer 2012.
The Sipapu free fly fishing clinics take place weekly on Saturdays from 10 am – 12 noon, with lessons by Taos professional fly fishing instructor and guide Dan Holden. The clinics are open to all, and will cover the basics of fly fishing, including how to use the equipment and how to cast.
Take your own equipment, or fly rods and reels will be available to borrow free of charge, thanks to Taos Fly Shop.
Although the clinics are free, participants aged 12 years or older WILL need a New Mexico fishing license. Current fees for NM fishing licenses start at $12 for one day for adults (whether New Mexico residents or not), or $5 for New Mexico resident juniors aged 12-17 for an annual licence, $8 for New Mexico resident seniors aged 65 – 69 for an annual license. Licenses are available for purchase at Sipapu’s store, which is probably the easiest option, or you can buy them online from the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish.
If you want to stay over, a number of third night free lodging deals at Sipapu are available through October 17, 2012 , including the hotel, cabins, suites, and lodge.
Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort is located 20 miles southeast of Taos, about a 90-minute drive north of Santa Fe, 2.5 hours from Albuquerque.
Sipapu Ski Resort deals for this 2012 season include:
- Parents Ski Free Week this week through January 13, 2012. A parent gets a free lift ticket with each purchase of a teen or child full price lift ticket.
- Car Load Days Deal Everyone in one car skis for $50 on January 11, 18, and 25, plus later dates in February through April. Up to 6 skiers can ride in one vehicle.
- Two for One Tuesdays Purchase a full price lift ticket and get one lift ticket free on Tuesdays to February 28, and also for one day on March 20. (Check the current dates at the link, in case they change.)
- Get one night’s free lodging at Sipapu when you buy a $44 lift ticket. You and up to three ski buddies can get a free room with two queen beds at Sipapu’s motel, lwhether or not the other people in your party ski. The offer is valid on specific dates: find details of the Sipapu free motel dates.
- Free lodging in Taos at the Sagebrush Inn, El Pueblo Lodge, Quality Inn, or Indian Hills Inn, or free lodging in Las Vegas, NM at the Super 8. To get a free room, you need to make a minimum purchase of two $44 adult lift tickets, valid on specific dates. Check the links for details.
Military, kids, and skiers and snowboarders of a certain (exact) age also get free ski privileges.
Mention the relevant offer when purchasing. Sipapu is about 20 miles southeast of Taos. Get directions to Sipapu Ski Resort.
New Mexico ski fans will no doubt already be gearing up for the 2011/2012 season. If you’re purchasing passes to New Mexico ski resorts, it makes sense to buy in advance and take advantage of early bird specials on lift tickets.
It’s the last chance to get a $100 discount on Angel Fire season pass for adults, good on purchases through November 6, 2011. The Angel Fire pass is discounted to $399 (usually $499) for adults. Passes for kids, students, and active duty military also get a $50 price break, reduced to $249 from $299. But you have to buy fast as the deal is only until Sunday November 6.
Sipapu Ski Resort also has its season passes on sale until November 6, at $349 for adults, that’s a $50 discount. A ski pass for students costs $249, and for kids and seniors it’s $109. Sipapu’s season passes also include three free days of skiing at partner ski resorts, including Angel Fire, Pajarito Mountain near Los Alamos, Red River, Ski Apache, and several Colorado resorts.
Finally, Red River Ski Area offers 10% off lift tickets until November 18, using the Red River Ski promo code: EARLY2011
Sipapu Ski Resort is 20 miles southeast of Taos, about a 90 minute drive north of Santa Fe. Angel Fire and Red River are both on the Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway. Angel Fire is 24 miles east of Taos, and Red River is either about 36 or 48 miles northeast of Taos, depending which way you go around the Enchanted Circle!