The Roswell Museum and Art Center runs an International Winter Film Series, with free admission to all. They do however accept donations. The series continues this February 2012, and the next two Roswell Museum and Art Center free movies both start at 7 pm and both are PG rated:
- Thursday, February 9 at 7 pm: Agatha and the Storm, a comic Italian film with English subtitles, about a woman who owns a bookstore in Genoa.
- Thursday, February 16 at 7pm: Rabbit Proof Fence. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this Australian movie, although I haven’t seen it yet. It’s meant to be very uplifting, but a bit of a tear-jerker, so take your Kleenex!
The Roswell Museum and Art Center is a beautiful space with some terrific art collections, and museum admission is free. Current opening hours are Monday to Saturday from 9 am – 5 pm, and just the afternoon from 1 – 5 pm on Sunday and holidays. Location: 11th and Main Streets next to the Roswell Convention and Civic Center, in downtown Roswell, New Mexico.
On Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day, Saturday September 24, 2011, two people get free admission to select museums nationwide, using the free tickets available at the link.
New Mexico museums participating in the free admission day include:
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
- El Rancho de las Golondrinas
- Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum
- Albuquerque Museum of Art & History
- New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science
- The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
- National Hispanic Cultural Center
Other participating New Mexico museums include the Bradbury Science Museum in Los Alamos; the Anderson Museum of Contemporary Art in Roswell; Geronimo Springs Museum in Truth or Consequences, University Museum, New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, and Western Heritage Museum Complex and Lea County Cowboy Hall of Fame in Hobbs, plus several more.
Register for a Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day free admission ticket and receive it by email for two free admissions on Saturday September 24, 2011.